Saturday, December 25, 2004

 

Boondocks - Tribtalk recieved some calls.

Friday's paper had the Tribtalk calls in it. The first four were about the comics pages, with Jim Robertson, managing editor replying. His reply: Comics selection is serious business, and obviously readers gave their favorites and, um, less favorites. So what's an editor to do? I listen to feedback from inside and outside and then trust my gut. After all, I'm a funny guy, right? I have great hopes for "Rhymes with Orange." And who knows, I might have some other changes up my sleeve.

Columbia Daily Tribune-Open Column P.O. Box 798 Columbia, MO 65205
Fax: (573) 815-1701
or E-mail: Editor@tribmail.com
Make sure to put address and phone number - They have to call to make sure it really is you writing the letter, and they ask whether you want your address published.

Here's the letter I am sending: Editor, the Tribune:

I read the Columbia Daily Tribune Sunday comics on December 19, 2004 and was appalled that "Boondocks" was not in its normal place, right above "Opus" (my two favorites); in fact, it was not in the Sunday Tribune at all.
Monday, I called the Tribune and spoke with a very nice lady. She checked to find out why "Boondocks" was not in the Sunday issue. She told me that the Trib had dropped "Boondocks" along with "Lucky Cow". I didn't really care for "Lucky Cow", but "Boondocks" is a thought provoking comic and the loss of it disturbs me. In the many strips that you carry in your comic section, "Boondocks" is the only Afro-American strip. I forgot to ask why it was dropped so my question, now, is was it dropped because:
1. The main characters are Afro-American?
2. It has some liberal themes?
"Mallard Fillmore"(Sunday only) has conservative themes and , most of the time, it makes no sense.
A couple weeks ago "Zits" showed the kid, with all the metal in his face, using a condom on a pencil.
3. It shows a Single parent family - with the parent being the grandfather?
4. The artwork too beautifully drawn? Most of the other strips are not very attractive to the eye ("Mallard Fillmore", "Ziggy", "Mutts", and your two new strips, "Rhymes with Orange", and "Spot the Frog" are the least eye appealing) .
5. It costs too much for syndication?
6. Aaron Magruder no longer draws the cartoon?

My other question is: What would persuade you to carry it again?

Thank you,

Comments:
thank you for posting all the "take actioin info." I'll be calling in the AM.

weblackey
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?