Tuesday, December 28, 2004

 

Does education create liberals?

Careful Not to Get Too Much Education...Or You Could Turn Liberal
by Dr. Teresa Whitehurst
..."If you get a bachelors," the seasoned student reassured, "you'll probably be okay. But my professor said that when you get a master's, and definitely if you go beyond that, you can lose your values. He said that college students have to be watchful because if you get too much education, you could turn LIBERAL. He's seen it happen to a lot of good Christians."...


Oh-oh, too late for a lot of us. Some don't even need the schooling to be liberal. Though, I think I needed the education. I didn't go to college until I was 10 years out of high-school and when I think back to the crap I spewed in my conversations at before college, I can just cringe. I had some excellent instructors in my night college courses. They expected their students to actually think for themselves. We had such terrific discussions. It was great because we were exposed to many varied view-points. People like to complain about the general education credits that were required because they say they don't use that knowledge. However, all that information is used to shape the way they view the world in general and to shape the way they think so they can co-exist (and work) with others.

Comments:
More persecution of the educated...the people that engage in critical inquiry...the problem solvers. Truth, liberals are known for wanting to make change when there's social (or any other kind) of injustice. Another truth, conservatives tend to preserve the status quo. Most horrible truth...anyone with their head out of their butt will chose to be liberal so they can sleep at night. The best way to get your head out of your butt is to think. You first think, wow, my ass stinks...I wonder if there's something better? This attack on education is the exact attitude and behavior from the religious right is what caused the dark ages.
 
It's getting pretty bizarre, what can we do?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?