Tuesday, January 11, 2005

 

City of ghosts

City of ghosts
The US military destroyed Falluja, but simply spread the fighters out around the country. They also increased the chance of civil war in Iraq by using their new national guard of Shias to suppress Sunnis. Once, when a foreign journalist, an Irish guy, asked me whether I was Shia or Sunni - the way the Irish do because they have that thing about the IRA - I said I was Sushi. My father is Sunni and my mother is Shia. I never cared about these things. Now, after Falluja, it matters.
Whatreallyhappened.com had the link to this.

Yes, this is one reason why I think the US should get out of Iraq and cut their losses. The Iraqis aren't animals. They're not children and not stupid, either. We treat them as though they are not quite human. Notice how they never have been reined in? That takes intelligence. When you consider that Iraq is a third world country and the US has all the latest in bombs, yet US has gotten bogged down in Iraq, you realize there is a lot of brain power, there. The Iraqis can and will get along with each other if/when they need to.

Comments:
That depends on your view of human nature. If basically humans are aggressive and contentious, especially in large groups, then some sort of central government is going to be required to maintain the rule of law after order is established. Do you think there is a "natural" inclination to establish law and order, a "natural" desire to get along with one's neighbors? I'm not so sure about that, after 60 years of observing fights, wars, and other types of aggression and hostility.
 
Sarah, you make a good point.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?