Sunday, January 02, 2005

 

Just some thoughts

I was listening to KOPN radio station, yesterday, in the car. The host, Morgan, was playing songs from several countries of Africa. It was an enjoyable show.
I keep meaning to go to a record store and pick up some more music from other countries. I especially love the Jamaican sound.
This is where I want to go for vacation.
If I ever win the powerball... or maybe I should stow away $20 per check for vacation. Sure, it will take awhile, but it does add up.

Weblacky at Toyblog made a comment that I should put up the recipe for home-made egg noodles for chicken soup. Just a little note -I only make the noodles when I have the chicken soup cooking. This time, I bought a whole chicken, washed it thoroughly, cut it in half, put it in a large (4 quart?) cooking pot covering it with water (about 6 cups) put the pot lid on and turned the burner to high. When it reached a boil, turned it down to 4 (I have an electric range) and went to bed. I set the alarm for 2 hours. When I got up, the chicken was falling off the bones. I took out the bones, skin, veins, and anything that didn't look like chicken meat. Put the bones in a plastic bag and threw them into the trash, put the skin & veins in the dog's dish. She was thrilled. 3 potatoes(medium sized) washed, cut into small pieces (larger than diced) were thrown into the broth. A tablespoon of diced garlic from the jar - though fresh garlic would have been great.
I wished for a large onion and some celery, but I didn't have any. Salt(1 t.) and pepper(1/4 t.), brought it up to a boil again, then took 3 eggs and enough flour (about a cup and a half) mixed in to make a dough firm enough to roll out on a layer of flour. Roll pretty thin, cut strips and throw them in the pot. Depending on the counter space for rolling, you might have to do this several times. My mother always made sure there was enough flour on top of the rolled out dough, then she actually rolled it like a rug and sliced it - unrolled the slices, allowed the excess flour to fall off, and threw them in the pot. Though to do that, the dough has to be a little thicker than I like - otherwise, they break. I just take a pizza cutter and cut the strips into 1/4 in. thick, 2 to 3 in. lengths. When back at a boil, bring temp down to simmer and put in the cooked chicken. Let simmer for about 8-10 minutes. I usually find the time flies at this point because I'm busy cleaning up the flour and the bowl, fork, rolling pin, & counter space from making the dough.
Some friends of mine like to just make the noodles so they get the canned chicken broth with some water and milk then put the noodles in the boiling broth.
Ymmmm.. Make some drop biscuits and maybe a salad.. good eating.

Comments:
Ahhh, KOPN and drop biscuits...now that's the life!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?