Saturday, February 12, 2005

 

Madness takes it's toll

My title is a bit of one of the songs Riff-raff sings in "Rocky Horror Picture Show", but it can certainly be a description of the grand ole US of A. Maybe, it's that I surf the internet and have access to all the bizarre things out there. My mother watches a lot of TV and listens to talk radio. She also hears about weird happenings in this country of ours. Tonite, (yes, I know it's really supposed to be spelled tonight, I just prefer using tonite) I read the article about the woman who had a baby then told police she found it on the side of the road after she saw it thrown out of a car. I saw the headline about it yesterday, very early in the am. I finally thought about it and wondered if there was more coverage and so googled it. I find that she made up the story about finding it on the side of the road. I felt better that the poor little thing hadn't been flung out of a window.

The CultureGhost has a post up about some woman who wanted her 14 year old to roll her a marijuana cigarette (joint). The kid didn't want to so she, in a drunken rage, started throwing beer cans at him. He ended up calling the police. She also had an 11 year old who had scratches from a knife from an earlier incident with her.
It sounds to me like this woman has a BIG problem with booze. I hope she gets help for that.

Here in Missouri, we had the scientist who was killed in a parking garage then stuffed in his car trunk and the car set on fire. They are still trying to find out who did that killing.

In January, a police woman stopped a young man for a traffic violation. He shot her 3 times. She ended up going to the hospital. She was kept in a coma to try and heal her body, but she contracted some sort of infection (I know meningitis was mentioned at one point) and she died, yesterday. The young man who shot her, killed himself the day after the initial shooting.

I see people running red lights often. I wonder why they think they need to be in such hurry when they are risking their own lives and others. Yes, it can be hell to get to work late, but when you weigh the risks, being late to work is better than killing or maiming someone because you were rushing to get there. If a person has an accident, they're still going to be late. I had an accident a couple years back when I was late for work. I have to drive 30 miles to get there and it was dark out and icier than I realized. I was heading down a hill and there was already an accident in the middle area between the 4 lanes. I put on my brakes and hit a patch of ice. I was heading directly toward the accident so turned the wheel. I ended up hitting the small bluffs on the right side of the road, bounced off it, hit the highway patrol car that was sitting there, bounced off it and hit the civilian car sitting behind the cruiser. Luckily, the patrolman was helping at the accident and so was the civilian. The cars were empty. Luckier still, my wounds just consisted of a bruise on my chest; from hitting the steering wheel and my forehead; from hitting the windshield. - Funny story, that - The highway patrol gave me a ticket. The tow truck came for my car and the tow truck driver was astonished that I was ticketed. He said he already pulled a bunch of cars out of ditches that morning and no-one had been ticketed. He said that he would be happy to testify if I needed him to. We got to the nearest town and his truck lost power or something. He had to call another tow truck to tow us to my town. Later, I found out that one of the people in the accident in the middle of the lanes was the spouse of one of the guys I worked with. He told me that no ticket was issued in that accident. Most everyone told me that the reason I got the ticket was because I hit the highway patrol cruiser. Anytime a police car gets hit, no matter who's fault it is, the civilian gets the ticket? Well, that's what I was told by many people. I found a lawyer to handle it for me. He took all the information and when he got back to me, he had gotten my ticket dropped. He said the Prosecuting Attorney would drop the charge down, but still wanted me to pay a fine and court costs. Well, I wouldn't go for that and he told her so. In the end, she dropped it. Well, I should say so!

Sorry, I did get a bit off topic, there, didn't I? My sister was in an accident due to bad roads, just recently. She was driving on a gravel road and a young man was driving toward her, going too fast for conditions. She said she saw that he was coming right at her so she went off into the ditch, but he hit her, anyway. My point is that people need to slow down because it's too easy to have an accident with all the cars out there. Especially, in bad conditions, it is just foolhardy to drive too fast.

People would probably stay a bit saner if they walked/ran more in the fresh air and ate out less. Too much alcohol is not good, either. We need to stop and think about things, put ourselves into the other person's shoes and ask ourselves how we would feel if we were them. I try, but sometimes it is difficult.

Comments:
one of my standard letters to editors

"you there, running that red light, i know why you stare straight ahead. You can't bear to see the other drivers at the intersection looking at each other, shaking our heads in mutual disbelief and outrage that you so selfishly put us all in danger for your own petty ends. You can't bear our glares of righteous anger sent your way."

if only it were effective. sometimes i honk and point. no, not with that finger.

dread pirate roberts
 
one of my standard letters to editors

"you there, running that red light, i know why you stare straight ahead. You can't bear to see the other drivers at the intersection looking at each other, shaking our heads in mutual disbelief and outrage that you so selfishly put us all in danger for your own petty ends. You can't bear our glares of righteous anger sent your way."

if only it were effective. sometimes i honk and point. no, not with that finger.

dread pirate roberts
 
oh dear. the dreaded double post. sorry.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?