Tuesday, April 26, 2005

 

Eric Alterman - oh, boy!

Bush's War on the Press. by Eric Alterman - I found article at "The Nation".
...Make no mistake: The Bush Administration and its ideological allies are employing every means available to undermine journalists' ability to exercise their First Amendment function to hold power accountable. In fact, the Administration recognizes no such constitutional role for the press. White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card has insisted that the media "don't represent the public any more than other people do.... I don't believe you have a check-and-balance function."..

That last sentece by Card is what I find truly bizarre. We are paying taxes which pay the government's salaries. Shouldn't we be advised of what our money is being used for? Shouldn't the media be taxed with getting that information out? How do I, oldwhitelady, find out what my (and your) employees (government officials) are doing? It's not like I can go and ask, right? If they want to lie to us, well, I guess we're fucked. I guess we are - we've been listening to lies for too long. Can you tell I'm pissed?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?