Friday, July 08, 2005

 
Spyware troubles web surfers, changing online habits
BEIJING, July 8 -- American internet users are increasingly frustrated and frightened by spyware and viruses being secretly downloaded on their computers. The threat has caused more than nine of 10 users to alter their online behavior, according to a Pew Internet Project report...
...Some of the most risky online behaviors that seem to attract spyware are downloading peer-to-peer services and swapping files over them, visiting adult Web sites, and playing online games...
...The study's authors defined spyware as tracking software that is secretly placed on a computer. The programs can significantly slow a computer, route it to Web sites you don't want to visit or cause an annoying stream of ads to pop up...

Frustrating is right! I don't do any of the risky online behaviors, that I know of, but I sure hate the idea of spyware or viruses interfering with my computing time. I use one of the Security packages and I hope it catches everything. To use AOL, though, I do have to change some of the settings. That sucks!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?