Monday, October 31, 2005

 

Walter Williams

My delivered newspaper entitled this article, "We've become a Nation of Sheep." In the Washington Times, the title shows as Wake-up Call. Either title, the article is alarming.
President Bush informed the nation, during a press conference, he might seek to use the U.S. military to quarantine parts of the nation if there is a serious outbreak of the deadly avian flu that has killed millions of chickens and 60-some people in Southeast Asia.
That's the second time Mr. Bush has expressed a desire to use the military for local policing. The first was in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. The Posse Comitatus Act (18 U.S.C. 1385) generally prohibits federal military personnel and National Guard units under federal authority from law enforcement within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the U.S. Constitution or Congress...
I have to admit, I was not thinking about this at all. In fact, did I even hear about it until reading Williams' column? If I did, my brain did not retain it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?