Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

Saturday night movie

I had the tv on last night, and the movie (about the life of Nobel Prize winner, John Forbes Nash, Jr.) A Beautiful Mind, starring Russell Crowe, came on. It was gripping... and very moving. I was struck by how well schizophrenia was portrayed.

Once upon a time, I had a boyfriend who was taking medicine for schizophrenia. When he neglected to take his dosage, he had problems. His best friend was manic depressive. The two of them went through a phase where they both stopped taking their meds and started hanging out at bars, drinking. I don't know what they were trying to prove, but it landed them both in the hospital.

Besides the content of the movie, I was struck by Nash's walk, when the jerks were making fun of him, as he walked across campus. It was exactly like my friend's walk. What a movie! Nash's frustration of his foggy mind, while on the medicine, was very understandable. It was such a breakthrough when he realized the little girl never aged, and so was not real. I give this movie a whole bunch of stars.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?