Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

One tomato, so far.

I've been watching my garden, intently, hoping to see some signs of vegetables. My radishes never really did anything, but go to seed. That was because I started them in an pot, then transferred them too late.

Update - I was talking to some friends about my tomato plants and they indicated how much they love tomatoes. I said, "Just think, people used to think they were poisonous." They were surprised. The plant belongs to the Nightshade family.
0ne of the strangest things about the history of the tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) is the fact that, although it is of American origin, it was unknown as food in this country until long after it was commonly eaten in Europe. Until hardly more than a hundred years ago it was generally thought to be poisonous in the United States. Long before it was considered here as fit to eat, it was grown only as an ornamental garden plant, sometimes called "love apple."
I've wondered how, since it was considered poisonous, people found it was edible, and mentioned my question. One friend ventured that it might have been a suicide attempt that turned out for the best. As in, "Goodbye cruel world, I'm eating this poison.... Mmmmm..I'm still alive and this is so delicious, I'm having another."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?