Wednesday, June 20, 2007

 

Getting some writing in.

Here's a short story I recently posted at The Practical Press. Please, feel free to tell me what you think. Be rough if you have to:)

Appetizer.

I pulled my huge body out of bed. I sat there for a moment, trying to wake. Finally, I pushed myself up and lumbered to the bathroom. I took my shower, wondering why anything for a larger person had to be twice the expense. This shower, take for instance, could be a lot larger to accomodate a body this size. As it is, I barely keep the water for splashing on the bathroom floor.

Taking several towels to dry my immense girth, I found clothes to put on. Luckily, they were elastic waist, and stretchy shirt. I lowered my haunches to the bed, and pulled the shoes with my feet. Sitting there, on the edge of the bed, I bent between my legs to try to get the loafers on my feet. Good thing it was warm out, I wouldn't be able to get socks on my feet, not with this huge tire taking up so much room on my waist.

As I got to the kitchen, I wondered what would be good for breakfast. I snacked on a couple Oreo cookies as I opened the freezer for the instant food. Slap it in the microwave, or toaster, and viola!

I still had a box of those yummy sausage gravy biscuits. It contained four. Yes, those would be nice. I put them on a plate and into the microwave. What else is there? I found a package of eight pancakes. Oh, yes! Those would go in the microwave next.

I poured myself a glass of orange juice and a cup of coffee. I put three tablespoons of sugar and an inch of cream into the coffee. Puckering my lips, I sucked in a taste. Oh, yeah, that makes a nice cup.

Out of the microwave, I pulled my sausage gravy biscuits, then put in the pancakes. I found the syrup and pulled the butter from the refrigerator. When the microwave dinged, I pulled out the pancakes and slathered butter between each. I poured syrup over them. When the bottom of the plate was covered with syrup, I stopped.

I sat down at the table and looked at my mini feast. I cut off a chunk of pancake and stuffed it into my mouth. I took a bite of biscuit. As I chewed, I picked up the orange juice. It all tasted so wonderful.

After I finished breakfast, I forced myself up and stacked the dirty dishes in the sink. Time to go to work. I locked the door, trod down the sidewalk, and got into the car. Too bad they make these cars so small. I had the seat back as far as it would go, and my arms seemed almost too short to reach the wheel. I started it up. As I drove to work, I thought about where I wanted to go for lunch. A steak would be tasty. And what about supper? Spaghetti with meatballs, and chocolate cake covered with ice cream for dessert, sounds awfully good.

Once I arrived at work, I circled the close parking spaces. There was nowhere to park. I drove a couple passes by, but no parking spaces opened up. I drove to the next parking lot. It was a lot farther away. I really didn't feel like walking that far. I finally found a parking space in the very back. Tomorrow, I'd have to start out earlier.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?