Sunday, October 07, 2007

 

Sleeping it off.

Last night, I made it to bed around 7:00 pm, after washing dishes, cleaning cat box, and vacuuming. The alarm clock was set for 6:30 am. I slept through the night. I woke at 5:15 or so. I decided I could get up and start the day. Once the cats were treated and coffee brewing, I jumped on the bike for a couple minutes, and then the computer.

It started out, last week, when someone needed Friday off. Her shift was the night shift, getting off around 2:00 am. Her son had something special going on, out of town. She really wanted to be there. The boss told her she probably couldn't have the night off because there was no one to cover for her. I was supposed to work Saturday, and really needed to sleep before my shift. My conscience nagged at me. Many times I've gone to work without getting a full night's sleep (for stupid reasons). Finally, I told her I'd cover if no one else could.

After the day job was over, I headed over to the part-time job for my shift. Six were supposed to work that night, in varying shifts. The day boss told me that one called in sick. Another lady arrived for her shift. Another called in with a sick baby. The boss arrived...we were three. We worked like crazed maniacs. The other lady stayed about an hour over. Once she left, the boss and I attacked the work with a vengence. At one point, she said, "I wish I had 3 or 4 of you, oldwhitelady." Mmmmmm, my boss likes me:) When I left, around 2:30 am - and nothing more I could do - the boss said she was probably 1.5 hours ahead. She only had about an half hour left, and she could leave.

Currently, we have quite a few new people learning the job. We probably made such good time because the questions and mistakes, from a new crew - that take up time, were not there. Daylight arrived and I headed back to work. I was cranky, but made it through the day. I know I could have handled two, of the many, phone calls better. Such is life.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?